Friday, January 18, 2013

I'm done with Lance and others who dont take responsibility for their actions!

Okay, I’m headed to the soapbox. Sorry.

I want nothing to do with Lance Armstrong. Not only did he lie for 15 years, but he vehemently trashed anybody who suggested that he might not be clean from drugs. Trashed them. The wife of a teammate was called a “harridan with a vendetta.” Former teammate Floyd Landis was accused of harassment.

His denials were so intense that Nike even used them in ads. “This is my body and I can do whatever I want to it,” he says in the commercial—inspirational at the time but hollowly ironic now. “I can push it, and study it, tweak it, listen to it,” he continues. “Everybody wants to know what I’m on? I’m on my bike, busting my ass six hours a day. What are you on?”

And in his interview with Oprah this week, all he could do was talk about how the system made him do it. I’ll bet when he was in third grade he said, “The dog ate my homework.”

So what really bothers me about Lance? It’s his failure to accept personal responsibility for his actions. Lance Armstrong took every drug. You and I didn’t have any vote in that. It wasn’t the system, it was his own lack of integrity. And it negates every single thing he did, even what seemed to be his heroic comeback from testicular cancer.

I have a pet peeve about this. I’ve watched AE’s over the years who never believe anything is their fault. It’s the company they work for… the account list they have… the buyers they call on… the economy we’re in… the birth sign they were born under. They fail to take personal responsibility. It seems to be an epidemic in our country.

I believe in the old motto, “If it is to be, it’s up to me.” So, I salute people who take personal responsibility for their lives.

In Jack Canfield’s amazing book, The Success Principles, he says the number one principle is to take 100% responsibility for your life.

So, am I sad that Lance is going to lose millions? Absolutely not. He did it to himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment